5 reasons Zachary and Gabe aren’t Baptized Yet
July 16, 2009
- From Scripture, there is no conclusive evidence of infant (paedo) Baptism.
- Most baptisms occurred as full immersion. The word Baptism comes from the greek word ‘baptizo’ meaning to “immerse, dip, plunge, or bury in water”
- Reflects Christs death AND subsequent resurrection (Romans 6:4). It is an evidence of your new birth (John 3:3), not a cause of it. God is the cause (1st Peter 1:3).
- In scripture, it is predominantly associated as a command AFTER repentance and belief, not before. The book of Acts serves as a great guide to how it was preformed in the early church. Acts 2:38 “repent and be baptized”. Acts 2:41 “So those who received his word were baptized”. Acts 18:8 “And many of the Corinthians hearing Paul believed and were baptized.” Acts 19:5 “On hearing this, they were baptized”.
- It isn’t necessary for salvation. We know this because of the man that was crucified next to Christ in the Gospel narratives. Jesus told him that “today, you will be with me in paradise”. We trust Jesus…
Check out this clip from Mark Driscoll for a little better explanation.